It may be that you have your own facilities or work teams to maintain, or that you are a facility maintenance company. In any of the cases, you need to know perfectly the types of maintenance of facilities and work equipment that exist, and be very clear which one or which ones are convenient for you to carry out.
The maintenance of facilities and work equipment consists of carrying out all those actions and actions necessary in them to avoid failures and breakdowns. Its objective is to ensure the operation and availability of such equipment and facilities.
General classification of types of maintenance of facilities and work equipment
There are several types of maintenance of facilities and equipment that we can perform. However, all of them can be classified into two groups:
- Reaction maintenance: Carrying out tasks or intervention in the installation or work equipment due to an error, a breakdown or due to the wear of the components. Thus, it suddenly appears sued by the facility or equipment itself. This is usually due to system obsolescence or misuse. Corrective maintenance would enter this group.
- Anticipation maintenance: This group includes those maintenance with a proactive approach. They consist of carrying out tasks to:
- Minimize the risk of breakdown or failure
- Guarantee the availability and proper functioning of the installation or work team
- Gain control over the facility or equipment
In this group we would find, among others, preventive and predictive maintenance.
Detailed classification of types of maintenance of facilities and work equipment
The types of maintenance have been classified over time as follows according to the type of tasks they include:
- Preventive maintenance: This type of maintenance is based on determining the vulnerable points of the equipment and scheduling interventions at these points to carry them out at the most opportune moment. The objective of this type of maintenance is to be able to maintain a certain level of service for the equipment.
- Predictive maintenance: It is based on being able to have the values of certain variables to be able to know and permanently report on the status and operation of the facilities. These variables can be such as temperature, vibration, power consumption, etc.
- Corrective maintenance: It consists of correcting defects or problems that occur in the equipment and that the users themselves report to the company or facility maintenance department. If only this type of maintenance is carried out, as you can imagine, what we are doing is leaving the equipment to its fate and we do not take care of it until it has a breakdown or failure.
- Zero Hour Maintenance (Overhaul): It consists of performing a set of tasks at scheduled intervals before any failure appears or when the reliability of the equipment has decreased, so it is difficult to make forecasts of its productive capacity. In this case, the revision is based on leaving the equipment to zero maintenance hours or, in other words, as if the cinchona were new. In these same revisions, the elements subject to wear are also replaced or repaired. The objective is to ensure in advance and with great probability a good working time of the equipment.
- Maintenance in use: It is the basic equipment’s maintenance that can be carried out by the users of the equipment. It is based on performing a series of simple tasks, such as data collection, a visual inspection, or lubrication. In any case, they are simple tasks that do not require special training.
What maintenance should I apply to the facilities or work teams that I manage?
When determining what type of maintenance your facilities require, the answer is that it depends on the equipment and, in addition, it will not be a single type of maintenance but, whatever the installation situation, it will probably require a combination of these types maintenance.
Therefore, when deciding which combination of these types of maintenance are ideal for each team, it is best to consider several aspects, including:
- Cost caused in production due to equipment stoppage
- Repair cost
- Environmental impact
- Quality of the product or service
Due to the difficulty of being able to determine the maintenance to be carried out on an equipment according to the previous classification, the most practical thing to do is to think about maintenance models. A maintenance model consists of the combination of different types of maintenance in a piece of equipment so that the set is the most appropriate both in its selection and in the proportion.
<h3> Tool for the management and control of maintenance of facilities and work equipment </h3>
When performing any of these maintenance, it will be convenient to have a system that helps the operator and users to be able to record in the simplest, most effective and productive way possible the results of the tests, the values of the observed variables, etc. as well as information about the maintenance itself, that is, who performed it, when, etc.
The TicTAP platform allows the operator or user with permissions to bring their mobile closer to the equipment label and fill in the appropriate form. All the forms and data collected are centrally registered on the platform and automatically available to the entire maintenance team.
In addition, these operators and users with permissions, will be able to access, through the TicTAP label and from their own mobile, other useful information for the maintenance of the equipment, such as the maintenance history of each equipment or the user manual .
And all this without requiring expensive infrastructures or applications, but simply with the application of TictAP labels in your facilities.