In recent years, there is more and more talk about the Internet of Things (IoT). More and more IoT-based solutions are being adopted in sectors such as industry, railway, retail, etc. However, despite the many advantages of IoT, we must also consider its drawbacks to determine if it is the best solution for our business.
TicTAP is not and is not based on IoT. Still, TicTAP has some aspects in common, while in others it overcomes some limitations of the Internet of Things.
Does this mean that TicTAP is better than IoT or vice versa? Not at all. The most honest and realistic answer possible is: “it depends on your case and the needs of your business.”
That is why in this article we are going to see the advantages and disadvantages or limitations of IoT and TicTAP so that you can assess which solution best suits your requirements.
What is the Internet of Things (IoT)?
The IoT consists of the virtual connection between things, processes, people, animals and any real thing or object that we have in our world.
That is, with IoT, any physical object in our environment is capable of automatically communicating with any other physical object without human intervention or human-machine interaction.
With Internet of Things, any object can measure and report data. This data can range from simple numbers collected by a sensor, to much more complex discoveries made by devices that measure and analyze multiple data streams at the same time.
In a factory plant, the IoT can be used so that the different machines can quantify and report the operation and performance of the plant, warn about breakdowns or dangerous parameters (excess temperature, etc.).
Advantages of Internet of Things (IoT)
The main advantages of the Internet of Things are:
- Predictive and remote maintenance: IoT devices allow collecting information on their status in real time and sending it to the cloud to be monitored remotely. This information can be used to perform predictive maintenance of the equipment or facilities on which the data was sent.
- Communication for automation and control: IoT enables communication between devices, also known as Machine-to-Machine (M2M) communication.
This direct communication between physical devices without human intervention allows the different devices to work connected to each other, in a transparent way and with less inefficiencies as well as better quality.
Furthermore, as they are connected to the network, they allow them to be controlled digitally and centrally with a wireless infrastructure.
- Saving time and money: Direct communication between machines without human intervention is faster, and it also means that human resources are free from certain tasks since the machines are already synchronized with each other . This frees up time for people who can spend on other tasks, or the number of people needed can be reduced.
- Better decisions: IoT allows you to collect more information, which will always help you to make decisions based on real data. Thus, decisions based on them are likely to be much more realistic and accurate than those based on a more superficial monitoring of the situation or even estimates.
- Easier monitoring: IoT devices can create reports based on the capture of information in real time. In this way the monitoring of the activity or the status of assets, stock, etc. it is much easier and real.
- Smart logistics: One of the biggest difficulties in logistics is getting processes to be well coordinated. IoT devices can send data immediately and in real time. For example, in a transport company, vehicles can be monitored with the help of devices connected via GPS and software. This allows remote management of operations, real-time information on variations and unforeseen events, and therefore a quick response and good coordination.
- Increased industrial security: IoT devices allow monitoring values that may be critical for plant safety, such as temperature or pressure in certain areas, machines or facilities. In this way they allow you to avoid claims.
- Increased occupational safety: Apart from avoiding damage to facilities and their machines, IoT devices are of great help to take care of the physical integrity of your operators and workers. For example, a wearable object can collect biometric data from the user, such as the heart rate. These data allow us to know the status of the worker and determine how to improve working conditions if possible.
- Make your company more environmentally friendly: IoT devices can allow you to obtain information on energy and resource expenditure. They can do it on a single machine or on the entire plant or factory. Information such as the consumption of electricity, water and other resources can be of great value to detect anomalies, excesses, etc. and be able to find a solution. For example, an intelligent machine can use the collected data to enter a state of lower consumption when possible, thus minimizing electricity consumption.
Disadvantages of Internet of Things
The main advantages are:
- The information is not encrypted , so it does not offer total security.
Incompatibilities: IoT is not yet standardized. This leads to compatibility problems in communication and interaction between machines and IoT devices.
- The software is not totally secure and can be hacked.
- Expensive connection or with limitations such as movement: If we are talking about IoT devices that work in the same factory, we will not have this problem.
But if you are looking for a solution to be able to track assets, parts or products that can even cross different countries, you cannot count on them always having a connection within reach.
In addition, the device will need to be able to connect via GPS or to the mobile network with its corresponding roaming consequences. All of this makes each IoT device and necessary infrastructure significantly more expensive in situations like this.
What is TicTAP and what does it contribute?
The TicTAP system consists of the TicTAP platform and the TicTAP tags that are attached to the assets, machines, facilities, products or objects in general that we want to manage, control and monitor.
Operators or end users will only have to bring their mobile closer to the label to access the data associated with the physical object on the platform.
Therefore, TicTAP’s approach is very different from IoT. While IoT seeks the interconnection between devices, TicTAP turns lifeless objects into living containers of information.
This solution allows the objects themselves to be those that offer you their own user manual, history of failures or maintenance, traceability, contact between the end user and the supplier or manufacturer (that is, between your customers and your company, for example) , etc.
Advantages of TicTAP
Thanks to the simplicity behind the idea of TicTAP, our main advantages for your business are:
- Avoid expensive IoT devices and special wearables, as well as connection infrastructure , since the connection of the mobile itself is used.
- Allow to carry out corrective and predictive maintenance in a more productive, digitized and fully controlled way: it should be noted that in this case TicTAP has a very different approach from that of IoT devices.
TicTAP allows operators to carry out this type of maintenance and register them at the moment from their own mobile to have the data in a digitized and centralized way. In this way, you can have complete management and control of maintenance.
However, if you are looking to eliminate human intervention and automate maintenance or capture of certain data, you will need IoT devices with sensors, or another type of solution.
- Have the peace of mind of having control of the management of assets, facilities or work teams: TicTAP allows you to have all the data registered by operators and users on the TicTAP platform, completely centralized and controlled by you.
- Totally flexible and adaptable to your needs: the platform allows you to create the forms you need to collect the type of data you want. It allows creating different users and permissions, types of reports, etc. And present all of this to users and operators in a web app format so that they do not have to install anything on their mobile phone, just bring it closer to the TicTAP label of the product or asset, the web app will open to access the data or create records. < / li>
- It allows complete traceability: In the case of parts or machines that must be sent to third-party companies (manufacturers, workshops, etc.), a user can be generated with permission to the company in question so that can record the data that you consider necessary for the traceability you want to have. An example of this is in the railway sector, where a part can even be sent to a company in another country for repair. Giving permission to the provider of the other country, he will only need to access with his mobile to fill in the registration when finishing the repair.
- Get savings in time, and therefore money: in this case the savings is not because the machines communicate and coordinate with each other to carry out processes, but because it allows end users or customers to save time in their interaction with the asset, machine or product.
For example, an appliance manufacturer can attach a TicTAP tag to each of its products. When a customer wants to consult the user manual, ask the manufacturer, etc. You can do this by bringing your mobile closer to the TicTAP label of the appliance to access the data in the web app automatically.
Another very graphic example is that of maintenance workers. They can use TicTAP to record the maintenance or repair performed and have it automatically and digitally in the cloud.
- Have an analysis tool available so that you can have the peace of mind of knowing that you are making better decisions: The data recorded through TicTAP can be used to generate reports on the platform. Analyzing these reports will help you make better decisions based on real data.
- Make your company more environmentally friendly: Again, the approach is different at this point than that offered by IoT devices. With TicTAP your company will be greener because it will reduce the use of paper by disposing and treating all data digitally. In addition, the fact of using the user’s own mobile eliminates the need for additional wearables and their impact on the environment.
- Avoid duplication through the integration of TicTAP with your current systems: It is possible to integrate TicTAP with the systems you already have in your company to avoid duplication of processes and data. it will depend on the current systems you have. If you need more information, you can contact us contact us .
Limitations of TicTAP
We like to be honest and that is why we believe that this information is basic so that you can make the best decision for your company.
The main difference between TicTAP and IoT technology is that TicTAP does not automate or eliminate human intervention. As we have commented in the previous section, TicTAP ensures that maintenance, access to user manuals of the products, registration in the traceability, update of the stock, etc. be faster, more effective and therefore cheaper. But an operator or user is required to bring their mobile closer to the label to create the data record.
Another differentiating aspect is that TicTAP is not an actively generating data system. If you require a system that captures and sends certain parameters in real time, an IoT-based solution or another alternative will be more convenient.
Finally, TicTAP is not intended to centralize the operation of facilities or devices. If you need to be able to activate or stop, manually or according to a schedule, the devices or machines in one or more buildings, a factory , etc., TicTAP will not be the solution you are looking for either.
What is best for me: Internet of Things or TicTAP?
After everything discussed in this article, we can conclude that an IoT-based solution may be the most appropriate if you need complete process automation minimizing or even eliminating human intervention, obtaining continuous real-time data sent automatically.
On the other hand, TicTAP may be a good option for your company if you need a much more adaptable, simple and economical solution to, among other things, achieve:
- make maintenance and repairs more effective
- to be able to achieve complete traceability of assets, parts, machines and products
- be able to have user manuals and records of each asset, machine, installation, etc., < / li>
- create a channel with customers so they can communicate with you or even send them notifications
- Have a complete record with reports on interventions on machines, installations, etc.
- Improve the performance of your workers and operators